How to Choose Bridal Lingerie
Lingerie shopping is never easy, and shopping for the biggest day of your life may seem like a daunting task. Here are some useful tips on how to shop for bridal lingerie.
- Start asking questions. It may be of help to get suggestions from your seamstress, tailor or fitter if you're getting professionally fitted.
- Know what you want and need.Some people just want to look sexy. Others have specific needs, like accentuation of the bust, slenderizing hips or thighs, slimming down the midsection, etc. Make a list of points you would like to improve and possible suggestions, like shapewear, corsets, etc.
- Don't be afraid to ask for help. Where to start? There's so many different types of lingerie out there. Ask what's popular at your favorite store or online retailer. Bring a trusted, honest friend along with you to try things on and give feedback.
- What's your comfort level? A tightly laced, steel-boned corset may not be the most appropriate choice for an informal beach wedding where everyone's wearing flip-flops. Similarly, you may not want to wear a simple chemise under a fully boned satin-and-tulle confection.
- Call around. See who carries what, and who has a good selection. Check their online stores if they have one. Ask what their special order policy is, what brands they carry, if they offer alterations, if they have fitting services, etc. Any experienced retailer should be able to answer these questions. Make notes about the customer service you receive over the phone or online. This will help you narrow down your choices and choose an experienced retailer.
- Try different things. You may like the sleek look of a corset, but love the way a bustier lifts and seperates your bustline. Are you going to wear stockings or hose? Considering an item with built-in garters or a seperate garter belt? Take into account bras, panties, corsets, bustiers, babydolls, chemises, robes and dressing gowns, stockings, hosiery, gloves, shoes, etc. The amount of choiced you have can be daunting, but if you consider everything carefully, you'll feel better about the choice you make for your lingerie.
- Purchase your items.Ask about the store's return policy. See if they offer any special services for bridal purchases.
How to Choose Bridal Lingerie
- Bring a checklist along! This way, you won't make multiple trips trying to get everything you need, and you'll be less stressed out later.
- Make a day of it! Bring a friend and go get a pedicure or manicure. Have lunch at your favorite restaurant. Try and do things that you enjoy so you'll be more relaxed and likely to make a smart decision purchasing lingerie.
- Don't rule something out just because it's not the right color! You'll be more prone to enjoy your lingerie shopping trip if you buy things that strike your fancy, and you always need lingerie for your honeymoon.
- Bring along a fabric sample if you've already chosen a dress. It will be easier to match your dress if necessary, and determine if your undergarments will show through or not.
- If you have not chosen a dress, bring your lingerie along when you go dress shopping. That way you can tailor your choices to what will make you look the best.
- Remember, most lingerie is non-returnable.
- Be aware of closeouts and discounted items. If the item you have doesn't fit, you may not be able to obtain another one.
- Try on everything you can - It may look great on display but awful on you.